Recent Posts

Monday 10 December 2012

A Man Who Had a Heart For God


Daniel and David, windows made sometime after or close to 1132. Augsburg Cathedral.

Canterbury Cathedral, shortly after 1174, this window was part of the early restoration after the fire.



Psalm 100
A psalm for David himself. Douay Rheims.

Mercy and judgment I will sing to thee, O Lord: I will sing,
and I will understand in the unspotted way, when thou shalt come to me. I walked in the innocence of my heart, in the midst of my house.
I did not set before my eyes any unjust thing: I hated the workers of iniquities.
The perverse heart did not cleave to me: and the malignant, that turned aside from me, I would not know.
The man that in private detracted his neighbour, him did I persecute. With him that had a proud eye, and an unsatiable heart, I would not eat.
My eyes were upon the faithful of the earth, to sit with me: the man that walked in the perfect way, he served me.
He that worketh pride shall not dwell in the midst of my house: he that speaketh unjust things did not prosper before my eyes.
In the morning I put to death all the wicked of the land: that I might cut off all the workers of iniquity from the city of the Lord.
M

David in a Medieval manuscript of the Psalms. 

And a Victorian interpretation by Edward Burne-Jones, 1863.