Recent Posts

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Peer Pressure and Lot's Wife

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgement than for that town. --Matthew 10:14-15
Halite in Death Valley similar to the area of Sodom and Gomorrah--thanks to Wiki

Many commentators of the Bible in year's past have stated that Lot's wife was punished for desiring her old life. She was missing her friends, house, grieving for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Some commentators state that she died from a lack of faith. She had to look.

 That Lot's wife was instantly turned into a pillar of salt means that she lost her salvation.

I think she was taken up by what we call peer pressure. What do I mean?

Let me start with analogous situations and a disclaimer. I was not ever attracted to the group or the gangs. I was a leader in college, and I was not attracted to peer pressure even in high school. Maybe it is because I am an INTJ. Maybe it was a grace. Maybe, like all in my family, I was so independent minded that to run with the crowd was never an option. Also, as a Catholic adult, I have had to stand up for my faith many, many times in many different venues. I am not afraid.

However, Lot's wife has intrigued me, as she was the only one in her family to look back. Lot and his daughters continued to follow the Angel to safety. One alone looked back.

Curiosity is a morbid feature, perhaps, of this true story from the Scriptures. But, why would a grown woman mourn over the justice of God on the day of ruin? Her mind and heart had been corrupted by the people with whom she lived.

She looked back in a false compassion, a false sense of sorrow. Now, this sounds harsh to those younger than myself. But, one must walk away from evil and peers who would bring you evil if you have spoken to them about the Truth and they refuse to listen. Why?

The Pillar of Lot's Wife in 
Your own soul is at stake.

Perhaps it is because so many young people do not come from large families and crave acceptance. Maybe only children or children with one other sibling feel the need for companionship to the point of giving in on their own morals and values.

America is a comformist society. But, the signs have been that the Millenials are less comformist. I have not seen this, in fact, the opposite. They conform in a different way-virtually, on line. And, they are reticent to discuss contentious subjects with each other. They do not want to rock the boat, as it were.

And, because of bad catechesis, too many do not know nor do they want to know the Faith.

Lot's wife was not converted. She did not think like God. She was conformed to Sodom and Gomorrah. That is the message of "looking back".

In Luke 17:32, Christ is speaking of the Day of the Lord, and He refers to Lot's Wife. He used her as an example of one who was damned. And, her sin could be that she longed to be with her friends, rather than with God's Truth.