Recent Posts

Friday 21 December 2012

The Song of Songs and Christmas



The poetry of the Song of Songs is written for the Church and for each one of us individually. As Christmas approaches, God calls us to Himself in an intimate relationship of Love. This is one of the meanings of Christmas. Mary, Our Mother, gave us the Bridegroom. She is Mother, Bride, Creation of the Triune God, the Theotokos. The mystery of faith that she brought the God-Man into the world is a mystery of love.

 Song of Songs 2:8-14

8 BELOVED: I hear my love. See how he comes leaping on the mountains, bounding over the hills.
9 My love is like a gazelle, like a young stag. See where he stands behind our wall. He looks in at the window, he peers through the opening.
10 My love lifts up his voice, he says to me, 'Come then, my beloved, my lovely one, come.
11 For see, winter is past, the rains are over and gone.
12 'Flowers are appearing on the earth. The season of glad songs has come, the cooing of the turtledove is heard in our land.
13 The fig tree is forming its first figs and the blossoming vines give out their fragrance. Come then, my beloved, my lovely one, come.
14 'My dove, hiding in the clefts of the rock, in the coverts of the cliff, show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet and your face is lovely.'