Recent Posts

Thursday 24 January 2013

On the blue and the red rose....


I have written on the symbolism of the blue rose before.

I have told of my fascination with the unattainable, the mysterious love at first sight, and the striving for the spiritual love of God, which are all part of the meaning of the blue rose. Artists may be attracted to the blue rose.

But, today, I am moving into the symbolism of the red rose, most likely, the most popular flower in the world.

By the way, I saw a brown rose last year in Kent. It was wonderfully exotic. The color was that of milk chocolate. But, that is not my rose. The flower seller told me it was from another country and I found out it was France and she was importing flowers. The French developed this rose. Some of her flowers were sent from far away. Flower sellers have interesting information on types and countries of roses, btw.

The red rose means many things to both Eastern and Western humans. It means love, passion, martyrdom.

It means happiness in love and true love. The red rose also means desire.

Desire is fine if it is desire for God Alone. The red rose can also mean the power and fruitfulness.

So, for a bit, I am switching to the red rose for meditation on the Passion and Love of Christ.

My favourite roses are the old roses, developed with great success by David Austin. I love the fragrances as well as the multiple petals. Here is a photo below.

Very medieval...........



The blue rose and the red rose together.....


Idealism and realism, aspirations and passion, love at first sight and true love,   spiritual and physical love, human and divine...........