Recent Posts

Wednesday 17 July 2013

The Humility of Poverty


Those who have money do not understand those who do not. Those who do not cannot merely do things or go places as they wish. They are bound by financial limitations. Those who are poor can be responsible, if possible, and many do not get into debt. They live within their means, but this entails going without things, or without doing things.

Christ called us all to good stewardship, which is rarely discussed. In over twelve years of living in England, I have never heard a sermon on stewardship. I have in America, several times.

What is good stewardship?

First of all, it is gratitude. Stewardship indicates that something has been given to one for one's use, one's needs. All we have, whether we have earned it by the hard work, or through inheritance, is gift. All is given.

Divine Providence decides on gifts. God gives out of His Generous Love. We give back to Him and others what He has given.

Now, stewardship is mostly connected in our minds with money, goods, the Earth's resources, and so on. Good stewardship involves prudence, temperance and wisdom.

But, we are also stewards of our time and talents.

Many years ago, perhaps 35, I was struck with the miracle of the loaves and the fishes. Over this time period, I believe that this passage is one God has brought to my attention over and over and over.

I have very few fish and little bread. I would have been like the apostle who questioned Christ. Matthew's Gospel is clear that the miracle was tremendous and made Christ popular with the people. It is also clear that the disciples missed the point. The miracle foreshadows the Eucharist, the greatest gift of all.

Of course, when we are given much, in an extravagant manner, we rejoice. But stewardship demands a humility. If we have been given little, we must be content. However, we must still share, tend, treasure the small barley loaf.

For those who are poor, sometimes, this loaf is scorned by those who have more. Those with more may not be interested in one small loaf, one small talent.

One of the best philosophical discussions I ever had in the late 1990s was with a man who has a doctorate in Philosophy. I was in Iowa and we had a long talk on classical education, the failed education systems of the West and the liberal arts. When the discussion turned to the elite school where he worked, a private school based on classical education, I asked him if he was the headmaster. We were so involved in philosophical discussion, we had not discussed ourselves. He laughed. "No, I am the maintenance man," he told me. He did all the hard maintenance for the school and was the handy-man as well as the boiler man and so forth.

I asked him why he was not teaching. His reply taught me something about stewardship.

He said something like this, I can be a better philosopher working with my hands and talking with people, reading what I need to read, than teaching. 

I asked him why he was not teaching at a university. He laughed and said that the school where he was the maintenance man was more academically solid than most colleges and universities. He also had time to think and time to talk with people like me.

He was a true philosopher and made people happy by using his practical talents, as well as speaking sense.

But, he was poor.

He did not care.

May we all choose to be good stewards of our talents, time, and money. And, may we honour those who use their gifts to the utmost in small, unnoticed ways.