Recent Posts

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Answers for Tasha


Well , a lovely person asked me many questions so I shall try and answer them. Here is the comment.

Thanks Supertradmum, I also would love to hear more about vocations, I have been reading In This House of Brede and I was annoyed when it ended! I wanted to know what happened, the way it carried on. Why did you go to England for example and not Kylemore Abbey or the Poor Clares here in Ireland for example. Why did you choose one order and not another, that is practical advice that women don't hear. Did you think, please excuse me, that you would be too old and that a second vocation is fair or that God calls us to two vocations? And why did you go contemplative and not Dominican (like the active contemplatives in America) as a teacher for example? What put your desire here and not there or over there, I hope you understand  Also if you know any more books like Godden's book please recommend them! God bless you! Tasha 

Well, to start with, I have never read In This House of Brede, or have never seen the series on the BBC. although a famous priest mentioned that my buying an amazing scarf in Notting Hill, which I gave away, before I went into Tyburn in Autumn last year, reminded him of the main character having a cigarette and G and T before going in . (One could only dream of looking like Diana Rigg). 

Anyway, the main reason I went into Tyburn is that it is a Benedictine order and I love the Benedictine spirituality. Having studied the Rule of St. Benedict for a very long time, it was the obvious choice. And, I had tried to enter two other Benedictine monasteries in the past. 

Secondly, Mother General made a huge exception is accepting someone my age. Most orders have a cut-off of 40. I am way beyond 40. There are good reasons for this, the first being that one must be malleable for formation. The second is that the life is hard and demands excellent health.

Thirdly, God does call people to two vocations and I think I am one of those. But, for example, men who are called late in life to the priesthood are usually not turned down because of age. To be honest, the women's orders are more strict on this point. And, life in community is much harder physically than the life of a secular priest who may live alone, and be much the same in his private life as he was before ordination, except for his duties. This is not an option for women. 




Fourthly, a second vocation for a woman is much harder to find in the world as orders are organized now. I have spoken with many orders and superiors and superb health and stamina are really needed. But, the other issue is that orders were founded for youth to enter-in other words-it is part of the charism of these orders to train young women.

Fifthly, I already had a relationship with England, having lived there for a total of 12 years. However, I was at Tyburn in Cobh last year, which is one of the daughter houses of Tyburn.

Now, I believe I have a contemplative call in the world, which is extremely difficult as it is easier to say the Divine Office with others, for example, and all work together for perfection.

It is much harder on one's own. However, I am trying to do this. God has called me to a lay life and to be a contemplative in the lay setting. This is why I am interested in finding some who may want to do this with me in Walsingham, or even elsewhere, for example. 

As to books, just read the lives of the saints, and the Rule of St. Benedict, the writings of Therese the Little Flower and Teresa of Avila. One is called to a spirituality, such as Dominican-ism, or Franciscan-ism  or Benedictine-ism.

Good questions and I hope I answered your queries.