Recent Posts

Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Pit House Part Two


Early the next morning, as the mist was coming off the large lake, Tete went outside and looked at the mountains west of the lake. She knew winter was coming soon and that she would have to start her journey immediately. But, as she was putting leaves around her roses, banking them up to stay warm when she was gone, after she had brought all her courtyard things into the Pit House, her bronze tub, the ladle, a chair made of beech, stumps which she used as a table and chair, and three lamps, another strange thing happened. She heard horses hooves. She left the garden and climbed up on top of her house. The soft grass, green and bright, was turning slightly yellow, as the cold was settling into the valley. As she looked north, she saw two riders in black approaching her. She was more afraid of them than she had been the wolf king. She was about to run and lock herself in her house, when one called to her.

"Stop, maiden, we need to speak with you. We come from a far kingdom and we know your name is Tete."

Tete was so surprised, she could hardly believe the words. The men were in armour and there horses were heavy, like war horses. "We know who you are and we have come to take you to your brother, who lives in the castle beyond the mountains." If Tete had not heard the story the day before from the wolf king, she would not have listened to these men. They looked fierce and warlike, and she was afraid.

"Why now, after all these years, do soldiers in armour and ready to fight come to me, defenceless, with a tale of my brother?"

The two men dismounted. "He himself has sent us, Tete. He needs you and wants you to come with us. We have a token of our truth " With that, the tallest soldier put a small ring in Tete's hand, a blue sapphire the colour of the waters of the large lake. It was Tete's baby ring.

"But, why should I trust you, even though you have this token?" She was fearful because of the plot against the prince and the king. She thought these rough men could be the ones who would be using her brother.

The shorter one spoke, and despite his rough look, Tete thought that his eyes were kind, even caring. |But, she was wary.

"Your brother is being used by evil men and an sorcerer who has him under a spell. These men want to replace the prince with your brother and use him like a puppet. They have made plans with the sorcerer to kill the true prince and the king and place your poor brother on the throne. However, they will kill your brother eventually, as they care for nothing but power. When he is no longer useful, he, too, will be dead.

Now, your brother gave me this ring years ago, when the spell was weak and asked me to find you, but he told me that I was not to get you until the last moment of the plot against the prince was in place, as he feared for your own life. Now, after all these years, when both your brother and the prince are in the strength of young manhood, we have come, as we know the terms of the spell."

Tete thought to test the men, "And, what are those terms and how do you know them? Perhaps the sorcerer told you and you are tricking me for some reason.""

The taller soldier spoke, "Young woman, would we bother to come if there was not a chance to save both the prince, who is good, and your brother? Why should we risk our lives to seek you out, for you are the one to break the spell by recognising the true prince."

"What if the evil sorcerer knew I existed and wanted to kill me as well?" The men were silent, and then, Tete saw them tremble with fear, and take out their swords, for behind Tete was the wolf king.

"Tete, get behind me. I shall deal with these men."

The men could not believe the speech of the wolf king, nor Tete's trust in this giant animal. They stepped back and ran back to their horses, riding away as fast as they could.

The wolf king looked at Tete, "You were right to be cautious. I am glad you stalled them, as they are from the sorcerer and they would have killed you"

Tete looked at the wolf king as it was no longer weak, but strong. It did not look like it was dying.

"King Wolf, was has happened? You look healthy and strong." Tete was so bold as to put her hand on its huge head. The wolf bowed down and let her pet it like a dog.

"I rested in the deep woods, thinking that the night was my last, when suddenly, a light enveloped me like the dawn and I felt life surging back into me. Then, I looked up and there was a woman in light smiling at me. The spirit was your mother. She did not speak, but I knew she was blessing me for the burial my tribe, my pack had given her by the water's edge so many years ago. Now, I shall go with you to save both the prince and your brother. But, we shall go by a hidden path, as the men will watch to see if you go to your brother, You must ride on my back, for you are not strong enough to go the way I shall take you. Get a coat and scarf and come now. We do not have time."

Tete went into the Pit House and brought out her coat and scarf. She locked the door and in a few seconds, was on the enormous back of the wolf king, which moved quietly into the dark forest. Then, it raced up a path surrounded by dense trees and into the mountains from another way.

To be continued....