Recent Posts

Saturday 23 November 2013

On the sadness of leaving friends

There is nothing harder for seminarians than losing friends who leave. My seminarian friends here in the States and some I know in England tell me that in the close knit communities, when someone leaves, the pain which results, creates a depression in the community. The year groups, diocesan groups and floor groups are so small that not only do the young men get very close in supporting each other, but when one leaves, the sorrow is real.



Vocations need to be supported by families, parishes, the existing clergy, bishops. To lose a good man can be a tragedy and undermine morale.

I have spoken to two seminarians in the recent past who have lost good friends in the past year. They were devastated. God bless them.

Pray for our young men in the seminaries. Fast and do penance for vocations. The journey is not easy. Notice in 2 Timothy the love St. Paul has for his fellow workers.

Do your best to come to me quickly,   


11 Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry. 12 I sent Tychicus to Ephesus. 13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.


19 Greet Priscilla and Aquila and the household of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus stayed in Corinth, and I left Trophimus sick in Miletus. 21 Do your best to get here before winter. Eubulus greets you, and so do Pudens, Linus, Claudia and all the brothers.