Recent Posts

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Advent Meditations on Death Part Four

St. Alphonsus gives us many thoughts on which to ponder in his book on the last four things, which some of my friends are reading this Advent and which I am reading off and on as well.

There has been more of an interest on the Net concerning the last four things, which are death, judgement, heaven and hell. When there is a movement of the Holy Spirit to look at something, this does happen. I call it spiritual synchronicity.

I have written briefly in the past few days on death itself. The discussion does not have to be dramatic, but real. The process of death involves the final letting go of all things.

There is a new movement in the States which I find very disturbing. It is this. When people die, they sell their houses "as is" with everything in it. This is more and more common in Illinois and Iowa, as I have discovered from friends trying to sell their parents' houses.

I actually was a bit shocked at this phenomena, as it means that no one needs the things to live, no one wants old things. Everything has to be new. Things were not passed on.

I inherited many things for cooking and baking from my grandma in the 1970s when she died. No one wanted these things but me. I used her kitchen things for a long time, until my son moved away and I passed these on to others.

Such old things were strong and good. I did not need new things. In fact, the old were better made.

But, the fact that grandchildren do not want old things is a sign of the waste of our culture.  Also, there is a tendency in America to horde. We have basements and attics full of things not used.

The culture sings the siren song of new and novel. But, in the end, we must be separated from all things. Can we really begin to separate ourselves from things before death in order to face the process of death?

One may ask, when is the right time to do this? I think that is between a person and God, but the hanging on to the world does not help any of us find our true peace, Who is a Person.

This great saint reminds us that all are called to perfection, all are called to holiness.

Here is today's snippet from St. Alphonsus:


In one word, everything on earth will come to an 
end. All greatness will end, all misery will end, honors 
will end, misery will end; pleasures will end, suffer- 
ings will end. Blessed in death, therefore, not he who 
has abounded in riches, honors, and pleasures, but he 
who has patiently endured poverty, contempt, and suffer- 
ings! The possession of temporal goods affords no con- 
solation at the moment of death: that alone consoles 
us which has been done or suffered for God. 
O Jesus! separate my heart from this world, before 
death entirely takes me from it. Help me with Your 
grace; You indeed know how great is my weakness. 
Permit me not to be any more unfaithful to You, as I 
have until now been. I am sorry, O Lord! for having so 
often despised You. Now will I love You above every 
good, and will die a thousand times rather than forfeit 
Your grace. But the infernal one ceases not to tempt 
me; in mercy abandon me not, leave me not to myself, 
permit me not to be any more separated from Your love. 
O Mary, my hope! obtain for me the grace of persever- 
ance