Recent Posts

Saturday 23 August 2014

A Lost Summer


I have hardly been outside this summer.

If I were teaching again in college, I would have gone back to the classroom this week, or next week. Today, it has rained, as it has most days this past August where I have been living. Twice, we had to turn on the heat, as the temperatures dropped into the high 40s.

I cannot remember an August like this in America, ever.

August was not summer. It was a month lost in cold, rain, and illness.

July was lost as well, with planning to move, moving, settling and getting back to a schedule.

June was a bit traumatic because of family issues, physical therapy on my back and foot, and insecurities .

A lost summer. Somehow, I think this summer represents the future for many of us. We shall have to adapt to huge changes in the normal.

I love summer and summer weather. I am hot weather person. To have missed these three months with nary a visit anywhere, without a real "vacation" day, has been a disappointment. But, I do think this is the new normal.

I cannot indulge any longer in any type of disappointments.

Suffering comes in small as well as big "hits".

I can handle rain in England, especially in London, but not in the States....hmmm. I cannot believe the rendition of this song I like is six years old. I thought I first heard it in 2006, which would make it eight years ago...input?