Recent Posts

Friday 19 June 2015

Shocking!

From Fr. Z.'s readers--I am shocked that so many Catholics do not understand the Church's teaching as seen in over a hundred years of encyclicals, including some by St. John Paul II and the Pope Emeritus.....I sincerely hope these numbers change. Of course, I voted on "I plan to read it all, because I believe the Pope's views....etc.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2015/06/poll-my-plans-for-pope-francis-new-encyclical-laudato-si/#comments
My plans for the encyclical 'Laudato si''
  • I don't have time for this foolishness, so I don't expect to read any of it. (28%, 263 Votes)
  • I don't regard all the Pope's views in these areas as morally compelling, but I plan to read it all for interest and information. (26%, 242 Votes)
  • I will probably read selected parts as time permits. (25%, 233 Votes)
  • I plan to read it all, because I believe the Pope's views in these areas require deference by all Catholics. (21%, 196 Votes)
Total Voters: 934

This could have been written by the Pope Emeritus....mostly. That is the tone and most of the content--from his notes.

This is serious that Catholics do not read or take this encyclical seriously

Very serious.

Very.

“This religious submission of mind and will must be shown in a special way to the authentic magisterium of the Roman Pontiff, even when he is not speaking ex cathedra; that is, it must be shown in such a way that his supreme magisterium is acknowledged with reverence, the judgments made by him are sincerely adhered to, according to his manifest mind and will. His mind and will in the matter may be known either from the character of the documents, from his frequent repetition of the same doctrine, or from his manner of speaking.” (Lumen Gentium, #25) quoted by a rational commentator on Fr. Z.