Recent Posts

Sunday, 10 June 2012

On Retreat

Carmel at Notting Hill
I would like to recommend any woman to wants to make a retreat in the heart of London, that there is a small oasis of beauty under the banner of the Carmel at Notting Hill. http://carmelitesnottinghill.org.uk/  is the link

I am on a mini-retreat and to find the spirit of St. Therese, the Little Flower in the middle of the metropolis is a great joy. The old roses are in bloom, some of the French variety, and I can imagine St. Therese being pleased with the small apartment, self-catering, here for those who need to be silent for even a short while. My rooms are called "Nazareth", and as I was making a pilgrimage in Walsingham last week as part of my finishing, again, St. Louis de Montfort's Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary, I felt there was a bit of synchronicity in the choice, which I did not make. Of course, Walsingham is where Our Lady instructed a shrine to be built in honor of The Annunciation. So, Nazareth surrounds me.

Today, parts of the Mass were sung in Latin Gregorian Chant, which I did not expect, as the hours are in English. Adoration of the Eucharist for the Feast of Corpus Christi took place almost all day.

Sister Patricia is the Guest Mistress and acts as the Extern, as the nuns are Contemplatives. This is my only post today. God bless the Carmelites in St. Charles Square. (One can take the Ladbroke Grove tube and it is an easy walk).

By the way, yesterday, I attended Latin Mass at the historic gem, the Church at Spanish Place, St. James. It is a bit too gloomy for me. The Chapel at the Carmelites is light and airy, full of roses, a statue of St. Therese and The Infant of Prague, as well as the Great St. Teresa, and, of course, St. Joseph.

St. James in Spanish Place


My favorite Church in London, for many reasons, is the Brompton Oratory. And, guess which is my second favorite? This will be my only post today.


13 comments:

Richard Collins said...

St James's too gloomy?

It is absolutely beautiful.

Mac McLernon said...

As a strange aside, as a teenager I went to school in St. Charles' Square, and my mother and stepfather lived two minutes away from the entrance to the Carmelite convent. We were never told about the nuns by our school (a Catholic one for girls) and the only reason I knew it existed was because once or twice I saw a nun walking out to do some shopping...

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful.
Thanks for your work on this blog.

New Sister said...

I share your preferences when I'm in London: I assist at Spanish Place on Sunday, and Brompton Oratory for daily TLM. (I can walk to the latter from my friend's flat, but the former is and feels like a real parish to me, like family.)

New Sister said...

Woops, got that inverted -- *my* favorite is the inverse of yours, my first being Spanish Place! What am I missing at Brompton Oratory? I find it beautiful, but it does feel dusty and dark to me, perhaps because I only go to a side chapel for daily Mass -- never seen it full and animated as I regularly see St James at Spanish Place.

Supertradmum said...

Well, Mr. Collins, in matters of taste there is no dispute. Maybe it was because it was early in the morning, on a gloomy day with hardly any lights in the Church and a smallish congregation. But, I do like my Brompton Oratory as I love the colours and the universal feel.

Supertradmum said...

New Sister, how small this world is. Many years ago, I used to go to daily Mass in the side chapel--yes dark and dusty. But, there is nothing like a LATIN HIGH MASS at the Oratory.

Supertradmum said...

New Sister, is the Polish restaurant still near the Oratory in West Kensington? Memories of student days...

Supertradmum said...

New Sister, I think you lovely breakfast comment went into the ethereal realms. Sorry...

New Sister said...

"Pain Quotidien" is a chain, but a good one. For whatever reason their eggs and salmon next to the Oratory seem better than at the one in Georgetown (where I currently reside). Haven't seen the Polish place but will try to remember to look for it- I've got Polish blood and love the food!
:-)

Supertradmum said...

us younguns used to go to the Polish place after High Mass on Sunday and, of course, talk liturgy

heady days

the soup was fantastic as were the dumplings-like perogies swimming in chicken soup...yum

Richard Collins said...

Oratory or Spanish Place?

I would be happy at an EF Mass at either.
God bless.

Supertradmum said...

Dear Mr. Collins,

I cannot agree with you more.