Recent Posts

Friday, 30 November 2012

From today's L'Osservatore Romano dated tomorrow


I have been verbally trying to deal with catechists and members of the new evangelization who keep making excuses for the ignorance of Irish adults (or American or British adults, for that matter). I am very concerned and have written on this blog and elsewhere that ignorance is no excuse. The Pope spoke about this today, and I am very grateful he did. If few listen to me, maybe they will listen to him. Young evangelists, stop making excuses for your parents and friends. Parents and Grandparents, stop making excuses for those younger. Stop. The link is on the first title.
Benedict XVI to the French bishops

The ignorance of the faith

The ignorance of the content of the faith is one of the most serious problems of our time and is an obstacle for the mission of the Church. Speaking to the third and final group of French bishops on their “ad limina” visit this morning, 30 November, the Pope explained that this ignorance mainly concerns the lack of understanding of the person of Jesus Christ and of the sublime and universal value of his teachings.
It is a problem which concerns many men and women “including many Catholic faithful”. For this reason, Benedict XVI added that the new evangelization “presents itself with particular urgency”. Above all because this kind of dual ignorance “causes in the new generations an inability to understand history” and to feel that they are heirs of a tradition, the Christian tradition, that “shaped European life, society, art and culture”. But the situation is such that if they want to reach the desired fruits of the new mission of evangelization it will be necessary to deeply involve the communities and parishes. And underlining the formation of the youth the Pope said “the Church in Europe and in France must not remain indifferent to the decline in vocations and priestly ordinations and other types of callings that God draws forth from the Church”. We must urgently “mobilize all available energies so that the youth may listen to the voice of the Lord”. Institutes of Catholic teaching are fundamentally important in this context so that “they are first in the great discussion between faith and culture”.
December 1, 2012

4 comments:

Flambeaux said...

You cannot hand on what you have not received. And you cannot have a relationship with someone you don't know.

All of us need to know the objective content of the Faith. All of us need to experience a radical encounter with the Living God who reveals Himself to us through the person of Jesus Christ in the liturgy.

You can't have one without the other. Ignorance of the Faith is ignorance of Christ, no matter how you slice it.

For those of us raised on rainbows, unicorns, and the Greatest Hits of Haugen, Haas, and Schutte we have some remedial learning to do if we're going to be able to hand on the Faith once received to the souls the Good Lord in His Wisdom and Mercy has entrusted to us.

On a personal note, thanks for the invitation to hop over here. I'm finding much comfort and solace in these posts.

Also, everytime I've become very frustrated with the state of the Church in the West I read something written or said by Ratzinger that reminds me I'm not alone or crazy. He gets it. He sees the same problems and is willing to propose, not mandate but propose, solutions. And those solutions always come ex corde ecclesiae.

Supertradmum said...

Flambeaux, indeed, the Pope gets it. Too bad people including priests think his views are opinions and not the Holy Spirit trying to teach us where we are and how to get out of the mess and onto a path towards holiness...good comment. I remember reading you on other blogs.

Supertradmum said...

Flambeaux, by the way, for one of my advent posts, I pinched a quotation of Bonhoeffer from one of your really old posts...see, it was good you left it on. I took my old blog off, from 2007, 2008 and early 2009 in frustration after the elections of 2008. It is on a disc somewhere in box in Illinois.

Flambeaux said...

You're welcome. I forget my old blog is still out there. I went looking for that quote a week or two ago and completely forgot I had used it.

LOL!

I occasionally think of blogging again but I've felt so beat down for the last several years I don't see how it might contribute to either growth in Christ or the restoration of Christendom.

So I lurk and post, occasionally well but more often dyspeptic, comments.

Glad my old blog continues to be helpful. And, perhaps, it might be time to haul it out of mothball...if I conclude I have something worth saying.