Recent Posts

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Letters from the Monastery Two

The monastic day is harrowing. I am on a mitigated schedule, which means I get up at 5:45 instead of having to be at Nocturns. I am in the Pantry by 6:15 making porridge, putting milk on for hot milk over a double boiler, and getting the trays ready for tea break, called mixte and also for breakfast. I make porridge for two of us who have permission to eat this, instead of the home-made bread which is making me sick.

Also, I have permission to drink coffee. Thank God. The Mother General must know I would turn into a beast without coffee.

I must say that I am a bit surprised that one only has an hour a day of private prayer. My classes have been cancelled more than held, as to all the interruptions of real life.

We are studying the Gospel of John, the Rule, the history of vocations, the CCC and other wonderful things. But, I have only had one class. I am ahead of my reading, as I cheat and read at night. Mother Novice Mistress is happy to have a keen student.

to be continued...