Recent Posts

Thursday 3 April 2014

Devotion to Guardian Angels


In a week of synchronicity in conversations, several people have brought up the fact that they did not keep up with a devotion to their guardian angels, despite being either cradle Catholics or long-time converts.

This fact has prompted this post on the necessity and beauty of conversing with one's guardian angle.

Perhaps the most recent expert on guardian angels is St. Padre Pio. Padre Pio saw his guardian angel from youth and noted on several occassions the importance of acknowledging one's guardian.

This great saint noted that the angel of God sent to Christians is a sensitive and obedient creature.

Padre Pio also reminds us to "use" the guardian angel for "chores" which are holy.

For example, I pray to my angel and ask him, (although he is without gender), to go here and there, to inspire someone to convert, to tell someone that she is loved, and so on. The saint writes that the guardian angels want to be used, to be active.

Also, for the lonely, Padre Pio reminds all that one is never alone.


"Do not forget this invisible companion, always present to listen to you; always ready to console you." 

"For people that live alone there is the Guardian Angel." 

"For whomever is alone, there is his Guardian Angel."



As an old woman told me yesterday, she is becoming closer to her guardian angel as she approaches death. I am sure her angel will be by her bedside when she dies.

As for me, I have had a special devotion to my angel(s) for a long time. For some reason, I believe I have two and can tell you the time when a second one joined the other. I do not know why I have now two, but I have had two since 2009. Perhaps, this has to do with the fact that in that year, my son went to seminary for his pre-formation year.

I do not see my guardian angels, but I sense the presence of these heavenly beings, especially at some Masses I have attended. They worship Christ in the Eucharist. I do not know if this is my imagination or not, but these two heavenly beings impress their presence upon me as having color. One, I send on errands of love. The other is always with me. Of course, as angels are spirits and out of time, one cannot judge their interplay with time and distance. But, I know that since 2009, there was a length of time when one was "gone" some place and now is back. I do not understand these things, of course, but trust in God and trust in my angels.

Talk to your guardian angel, and ask him to do things for you.

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God Love, commits me here, ever this day, be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.

 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
As Padre Pio said, it is less expensive than shoes or a stamp to have your angel take a message to someone.

And, he also reminds us that the angels keep us from evil harm and from temptation.

Today, stop and thank your guardian angel for his help. Thank him for his service to you, daily.