Recent Posts

Thursday 12 June 2014

Christ in Constant Penance: Perfection Series II Part Five St. Angela


St. Angela writes that Christ's entire life was one of penance.

This seems obvious after one points this out. God on earth must have suffered constantly.

I was thinking last night, as I was suffering intensely, of the great Desert Fathers, who endured the torments
of the devils, seeing these creatures, being tempted by them, being taunted by them.

I was in a situation surrounded by some evil and I could not get away. I just prayed to Abbot Anthony and Abba Poeman and  Abba Ischaryus over and over. Something insteresting happened. The evil did not go away, but I was protected, as it was blunted.

Christ did not allow himself to have evil "blunted" against Him. He was constantly aware of the sins of men. He was constantly aware of those who turned  against Him daily.  He was aware of the denial of the Incarnation, Himself, daily.

Christ suffered more in the Garden, seeing all the sins of all the humans who ever existed. He suffered more on the Cross, taking all that punishment due to sin on Himself.

Stop complaining. Look towards the One Who suffered without a break.