Recent Posts

Sunday 17 August 2014

Gearing Up for More Perfection Posts





Having finished Ralph Martin's book, I am in the painful position of seeing how very, very far I am from the last two stages of the journey to perfection, the Illuminative and the Unitive. I do disagree with his interpretations, which I am allowed to do, as even St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Avila have differences in approach and words. I see a more distinct line of demarcation than Martin. I believe this demarcation is upheld in the writings of Catherine of Siena and John of the Cross.


But, the progress is the same. I have used Garrigou-Lagrange mostly, as my readers know, as I think his work is the most clear and most comprehensive. I shall continue to use him.

All saints who are canonized reach those higher levels on earth. That is what it means to be a saint. We can see this clearly in the writings of the great mystics, but also in the writings of all the Doctors of the Church, which is why you can visit my series on them and see the same pattern.

The problem is that so few people today stay the course. It is extremely hard and one must will one's way through the Dark Night and constantly ask God for help.

That is key, asking God to perfect one, to keep wooing, not to give up on one.

But, people give up on God.

Why? I think most people give up for three reasons.

One, they do not want to embrace poverty.

Two, they do not want to embrace chastity.

Three, they do not want to embrace obedience.

Simple, really. The Dark Night is DARK. One can hardly explain the odd back and forth of the purification of the spirit. The purification of the senses is much more obvious.

The first two counsels, poverty and chastity, deal with the purification of the senses. The third points to the purification of the spirit.

I want to encourage all readers to pursue perfection, to pursue love.

St. Bernard, who I have been reading off and on this summer (fall weather) again for the umteenth time, reminds us that the bride in the Song of Songs first speaks of kissing the feet, then the hands and finally receives the kisses of the mouth of Christ, the Bridegroom.

Why does the bride persist in seeking the Bridegroom? For love, of course. Why does anyone seek the lover but for love? This much I know, that the Dark Night is the seeking of love.

Sometimes, as if seeing something in a fog, one perceives love. But, it is not enough. It is not the bridal love one desires from Christ, but a glimpse, a hint, a shadow.

If we seek Him, He will let us find Him. This is my faith and this is my hope.