Recent Posts

Monday 15 September 2014

Memento Mori

When one reaches my parents' ages of 86 and 91, many friends will have died.

Even at my age, I have lost people who were my age, slightly older and slightly younger.

One such person with whom I worked died last week, a wonderfully creative woman completely dedicated to her students of the school where she was principal for years, and highly respected by the parents, as well as the faculty.

I have not lost many friends, as Midwesterners tend to live long. Also, my generation is, in general, more health conscious than the next two beneath it.

However, when someone one knows dies, the occasion brings about a solemnity of thought.

One must face one's own death.

We live in a culture which idolizes a false idea of life. Life is a preparation for death, when each one of us shall see God face to face.

That most people forget this means we do not talk about death realistically. As Catholics, we know that death is not an ending, but a beginning. Death begins eternal life, either in heaven or hell, with a possible detour for purification into Purgatory. But, death ends our time to gain merit, be purified on earth, do good deeds, love.

Some people never really live before they die. They live in shadow-lands of fear or depression, sloth or lukewarmness.

None of us want to be forgotten after death. Some can imagine a spouse or children remembering one with fondness. For some, there is no one to remember.

One of my favorite novels, perhaps my third favorite after Little Dorrit and Mansfield Part, is Bleak House. Whenever I re-read it, and I have a habit of re-reading my favorites again and again and again, I am intrigued by the character of Lady Deadlock, so beautifully played by Diana Rigg in the old BBC series, which I highly recommend if one does not want to read the book.

Lady Deadlock, as her name implies, buried a secret, hidden from her "natural" daughter and her husband. But, what is interesting is that after such a long time, she still loves her first love, "Nemo", the father of her daughter.

Lady Deadlock's secret is unravelled by a malicious character, one of Dickens most hideous creatures, who is a sadist, enjoying bringing pain and ruin to others. He is also a narcissist. But, his character is meat for another post.

Lady Deadlock dies outside the pauper's cemetery after she has discovered her long lost lover who died is buried. Her daughter finds her just as she is dying.

The woman shows us that love is stronger than death, and that some people die for love.

Christ died for love.

As the Catholic thinks of his death, he has the great comfort of knowing One Human, Who is also God, went before him in death and conquered death. Love overcomes death.

This is our faith.



In memory of Mrs. Barbara Doerner, RIP. She encouraged me to use my creative ideas in my curriculum, and stood by my unusual decisions in teaching. We shared in the love of life, but never forgetting why we were created.