Recent Posts

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Canterbury in Bloom on May Day


Thanks Wiki

I am visiting the beautiful city of Canterbury today, and prayed at the spot where St. Thomas Becket was murdered. I am reminded that the time is coming upon us again, when bishops and archbishops may have to take severe and holy stands against the government encroachment of Church rights. There are many, many people who not only do not want the Church to have rights, but
do not believe that the institution created by Christ on earth for our salvation legitimately has rights, both separate and intertwined with the State. I also visited the Anglican parish church of St. Dunstan, where part of the pieces, the relics of St. Thomas More are located under the Church. Twenty some years ago, I actually saw those relics, when the place was open, and put my hands on the grating in front the the holy remains. One cannot do that now, and I was fortunate to have been there on the day when this could happen.



That these two saints died for the jurisdiction of the Church over certain matters of morality and order, make us ponder our own positions today, especially on this May 1st, when "occupier" threaten the age-old systems of order in Europe and America.

In addition, the American window, dedicated to those who fought in World War II is as beautiful as ever. I prayed for my dad, a veteran. At both places, I prayed for seminarians and those who are about to go into the seminary, especially. I also prayed for those who have yet to discern their vocation in life either priestly or lay. SS. Thomas Becket and Thomas More, pray for us.