Recent Posts

Saturday 12 January 2013

The Next Church in my Pilgrimage


The  Church of St. Francis of Assisi in Valletta on Republic street, just a bit from St. Barbara's is the first baroque church built in Valletta.

The Mass there is always crowded and the church is a great place to pray. There are many side altars, as most Valletta churches have, and some phenomenal art work. There are five Masses a day there, which is a great blessing. Also, on Sunday mornings, there is always Confession. If one is going to the Co-Cathedral for Mass, one can pop into St. Francis's Church first for Confession. I have several friends who do that.

The Franciscans have been very important in Malta, and I am happy to say that I saw one dressed in his complete habit walking in Valletta. He could have been from outside of Malta, but he reminded me of the great heritage of the Franciscans here.

I did not have time to visit more of my beloved churches in Malta. But, I hope you enjoyed this little pilgrimage.

Here is a painting by an English artist, Mark Satchwill depicting both St. Paul and St. Francis over Malta. His website is below the painting.

http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Mark-Satchwill/16287/Art-Portfolio/Gallery/Religious-Portraits/1/