Recent Posts

Monday 24 November 2014

EF and Benedictine Calendar-St. John of the Cross

I have more posts than this on this great saint, but here are a few to celebrate the day.


15 Nov 2013
One more note on thoughts from St. John of the Cross. Posted by Supertradmum. Lost a post somewhere between this McDonald's and another one. C'est la vie. Let me just say that it was a goodbye to discussing the stages of ...
10 Aug 2013
John of the Cross Ideas for Today. Posted by Supertradmum. Wisdom enters through love, silence, and mortification. It is great wisdom to know how to be silent and to look at neither the remarks, nor the deeds, nor the lives of ...
14 Dec 2012
The Perfection Series on my blog owes so much to St. John of the Cross. Today, on his great Carmelite feast, I quote him again. One line in the beginning of the stanas strikes me. The soul asks Christ, who is hidden in the ...
10 Apr 2012
Poem of St. John of Cross--The Soul that Suffers with Longing to See God I live, but not in myself, and I have such hope that I die because I do not die. 1. I no longer live within myself and I cannot live without God, for having ...

14 Dec 2012
It is the traditional covering of the marriage bed. The secret place of our hearts, as well. St. Bernard of Clairvaulx and St. John of the Cross understood this mystery of love and shared this with us. Here is more John of the Cross ...
04 Aug 2013
Garrigou-Lagrange has at interesting comparison concerning the experience of the passive purification of the Illuminative State leading up to Unitive State and St. Therese, St. Teresa, and St. John of the Cross. I do not think I ...
15 Dec 2012
If you say, you cannot find God, keep praying and keep looking. Again, from St. John and the same source. God is, as I said before, inaccessible and hidden, and though it may seem that you have found Him, felt Him, and ...
10 Jun 2013
from John of the Cross three. Posted by Supertradmum. Worldly people are in the habit of censuring those who give themselves up in earnest to God, regarding them as extravagant, in their withdrawal from the world, and in ...

27 Jun 2013
Bridegroom The small white dove has returned to the ark with an olive branch; and now the turtledove has found its longed-for mate by the green river banks. She lived in solitude, and now in solitude has built her nest; and in ...
10 Jun 2013
On hell again....and mediocrity · In case you missed this, Pope Emeritus' Health Not... Breaking News from France 24--Interesting · More Q and A from Sunday night · from John of the Cross three · from John of the Cross two ...
15 Apr 2013
As I come to the (almost) end of this long series, started in January of 2012, I emphasize, perhaps, the most loved of all those saints and Doctors who write on perfection, St. John of the Cross. More than all the rest, he is widely ...
10 Jun 2013
From John of the Cross. Posted by Supertradmum. My soul is occupied,. And all my substance in His service;. Now I guard no flock,. Nor have I any other employment: My sole occupation is love. Email ThisBlogThis!Share to ...

17 Apr 2013
Part 127: Doctors of the Church and Perfection: John of the Cross. Posted by Supertradmum ... St. John has written so much more, and like the other Doctors of the Church, has much to share with us. However, this will have to ...
08 Feb 2013
The writings of St. John of the Cross are amongst my favorite spiritual reading, bravo for posting this short letter. I love that you put us the scanned pages rather than the regular copy and paste quote. To me it gives a much ...
29 Oct 2014
The Cross Speaks Loudest. Posted by Supertradmum. The Crucifixion of Christ speaks to us today in a new way. Christ on the Cross, the Word of God rejected by men, is still rejected, even in the Church. St. John wrote this: ...
02 Aug 2013
As mentioned before in the perfection series, St. David himself is an example of one who knew this movement of the Holy Spirit. John of the Cross makes here the distinction between the dark night of the senses-the ...

28 Jan 2013
The entrance into the illuminative way, which is the second conversion described by St. Catherine of Siena, Blessed Henry Suso, Tauler, and Father Lallemant, is called by St. John of the Cross the passive purification of the ...
18 Apr 2013
In accordance with our plan for the division of this work,(1) we shall follow the teaching of St. John of the Cross, who is the faithful echo of the tradition of the great spiritual writers, and treat of the night of the spirit at the ...
05 Nov 2013
A Short Note. Posted by Supertradmum. The Ascent of Mount Carmel by John of the Cross is about the active stages of prayer. The Dark Night is mostly about the passive. If you have not read St. John, read the Ascent first and ...
22 Oct 2013
The list I made yesterday, distilling some of the characteristics of the Dark Night from John of the Cross' writings shows that one can endure this purgation here and now. Why wait until purgatory? Why put off what can be done ...