Recent Posts

Monday 28 January 2013

from a friend on Stan the Man to all of you


Dear Friends,

I thought I would share the videos below with you if you haven't already seen them.

In my estimation we will never again see the kind of athlete that Stan Musial was. Not just because of what he could do in the field of play, but because of what he did *off* the field of play as well.

He exuded excellence, honesty, integrity, grace and decency. He was, to me, what Midwestern values are all about.

I never saw him play, but boy I miss him already. I watched most of the funeral Mass. (Cardinal Dolan was a con-celebrant)

I have to say I was more than a little sad on Saturday (the day of the funeral). I shed more than a few tears.

Because this kind of man, a man from the greatest generation of Americans, we will rarely - *if ever* - see again.

CK


Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him (and Lil).


"Take a look, fans. Take a good, long look. Remember the swing and the stance. We won't see his like again."  Harry Caray, September 1963 - Stan's last at-bat.


http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25574499&topic_id=40773316&c_id=stl  (excerpts from the eulogy)

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/bob-costas-eulogy-stan-musial/  (unedited version - 19 minutes)