Recent Posts

Monday 28 January 2013

One of my favourite psalms from Lauds today


St. David understanding the road to perfection.................


Psalm 83 (84)
Longing for the Lord's temple

They are happy who dwell in your house, Lord.
How delightful is your dwelling-place, Lord of hosts!
  My soul is weak with longing for the courts of your palace.
  My heart and my body rejoice in the living God.
Even the sparrow finds itself a home,
  the swallow a nest to raise her young –
  in your altars, O Lord,
  Lord of strength, my king and my God.
Blessed are they who dwell in your house:
  they will praise you for ever.
Blessed the man whose help comes from you,
  who has set his heart on climbing to you.
They pass through the valley of thirst
  and make a spring there:
  the morning rain will cover it with blessings.
They will go from strength to strength:
  they will see the God of gods, in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, listen to my prayer;
  hear me, O God of Jacob.
Take notice of us, God our protector,
  and look on the face of your anointed one.
One day in the courts of my God
  is worth more than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be at the doorstep of the house of my God
  than live in the dwellings of sinners.
For the Lord my God is my sun and my shield.
  The Lord gives grace and glory.
He will not deny his good things
  to those who walk in purity.
Blessed is he who trusts in you,
  O Lord of hosts.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
  as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
  world without end.
Amen.
They are happy who dwell in your house, Lord.

Blessed be the Lord! For love of him, Thomas studied, kept watch, and laboured.

Lord, our God, since it was by your gift that Saint Thomas became so great a saint and theologian,
  give us grace to understand his teaching and follow his way of life.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
  who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
  one God, for ever and ever.