Recent Posts

Wednesday 22 October 2014

No offense, why are Catholic kids in secular schools?

Birmingham parents call on Council to get CHIPS out of their school
22 October 2014: Parents from Welford Primary school in Birmingham are presenting 150 letters to Councillor Brigid Jones calling on her to ask the governing body at the school to remove a controversial teaching programme, Challenging Homophobia in Primary Schools (CHIPS).

The parents are angry that CHIPS was introduced without any consultation with them. They are concerned that CHIPS is introducing same-sex issues to their children at an inappropriate age and in an inappropriate way. They fear that this teaching programme is sexualising their children.

The text of the letter is:
Dear Councillor Jones,
Welford Primary School
I am a parent at Welford Primary School. On Tuesday 7 October I received a letter from Miss Bonnique, Chair of Governors, stating that the school is committed to using the CHIPS programme.
The programme has been introduced to challenge discrimination. I do not believe that there is discrimination in Welford Primary School. I am not aware that there is a problem with homophobic bullying.
I do not want my child to be in the CHIPS classes. I am able to talk to my own child about respect for other people. I understand that it is my responsibility as a parent, to teach my own child about values.
The school will not listen to my views or the views of the community. I am losing confidence in the school.
I am calling on you to ask the governing body of Welford Primary School to remove the CHIPS programme from the school.
The presentation of the letters will take place at 12.30 on Thursday 23 October at the council offices in Victoria Square.

Antonia Tully of Safe at School will be with the parents. The Welford parents asked Safe at School for advice and support in their efforts to protect their young children from this unacceptable teaching programme.

For more information please call Antonia Tully on 020 8407 3463 or 07926 007 175. Safe at School is a campaign of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) https://www.spuc.org.uk/campaigns/safeatschool/

Note to editors:

Key features of the CHIPS programme include:
  • Promoting 'diversity' to four to five year-olds
  • Five to six year-olds role playing lesbian parents
  • Telling six to seven year-olds that "It doesn't matter if someone is gay, does it!"
  • Teachers role playing a gay person
A review of CHIPS can be read online.
To receive this news regularly, visit http://www.spuc.org.uk/em-signup