Recent Posts

Thursday 30 August 2012

Catholic London


I have found a book, Catholic London, which is a delight. The author is John Wittich, a Londoner, who obviously loves London and Catholicism. Because I was at Tyburn, I wanted more information on the area and found it in this small but packed book. I especially like the maps.

Of course, as Ely Place is one of my favourites in London, I read about St. Etheldreda's, which I visited about two months ago. But, what struck me this time in looking at the maps and the places mentioned by Wittich, is the overwhelming presence of the martyrs. Not only the place of their martyrdom is sacred, but the entire route of their humiliation, the streets through which they were dragged on hurdles to the place of execution.


The "Martyrs' Way" is from Newgate, through Smithfield, to Tyburn. In an old copy of The Catholic Herald from 1936, a group was reported as walking annually on this route. The Guild of Our Lady of Ransom organized the walk. I do not know if anyone does it today, but this pilgrimage sounds timely. A group for young Catholics, Juventutem London, have a monthly rosary at Tyburn. Here is the website for more information on the group. http://www.juventutemlondon.blogspot.co.uk/