Recent Posts

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Vatican Insider Interview with Cormac Murphy-O'Connor

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/inquiries-and-interviews/detail/articolo/murphy-oconnor-22505/


And clarification on contentious quotation....


Q.  You have been reported as saying that after Benedict XVI “there is going to be another conservative Pope – perhaps the last before a great explosion in the Church”.  Did you say that?

A. No!  I’ve certainly been misquoted here.  I have never said ‘another conservative pope’. I don’t like the word ‘conservative’ or the word ‘liberal’ in this context.  When I became archbishop of Westminster I was asked, “Are you a conservative or a liberal?”, and I replied, “No, I’m a Catholic, and I am sensitive, I hope, to the mind and teaching of the Church in what I proclaim and what I stand for.”