Recent Posts

Thursday 25 April 2013

Thanks to all the commentators; swamps, shoes and an owl


I have had many fantastic comments on this blog. Thanks to all those polite and rational people who have contributed in the combox.

My pilgrimage to Walsingham has been interesting and diverse. Now, I am moving on.

I say goodbye to the owl in the garden. My only disappointment has been the incredibly cold weather, except for about two days.

Goodbye to Norfolk. I did get to the sea one day. The air is distinctly better than in Walsingham, which has a heavy atmosphere.


One local person told me today that when the Catholic shrine was at its height, the Carmelites had many houses in East Anglia and helped the pilgrims come by sea from other places in the area. These Carmelites were hermits, or anchorites, and boated pilgrims from certain gathering places.

In addition, there was, before the destruction of the shrine, a shoe "factory", that is, a great many shoemakers in Walsingham, as the pilgrims would leave their shoes at the Slipper Chapel and walk barefoot to the priory. However, they would need to buy new shoes.

One of those shoemaking families were still working in the village into the 20th century. Imagine, a business lasting 500-600 years.

The shoe business was so profitable, that barges of shoes were shipped to other parts of East Anglia and elsewhere for sale. I have bought new shoes in this area as well for my new adventure. Sadly, I am leaving in the rain....