Recent Posts

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Spiritual Authenticity


Jesus is called the Lion of Judah. Jesus is the Word Incarnate. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

John 14:6

Douay-Rheims 1
Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.
The Protestant Minister Charles Spurgeon wrote the phrase above on the meme. God's Word, the Gospel is Truth, and one can live by the Word, or not do so. To not live by the Word is to fall into lies and darkness. And, to depart from the Teachings of the Church is to depart from the Lion of Judah.

In the past several weeks, here in Ireland, I have been pondering the question of spiritual authenticity. Now, many people say to me, "So and so is such a saint," or "She is so holy, she works so hard for the Church." And so on.

I am perplexed when people see saintliness or goodness in others who demonstrate vices which are opposite virtue. I am concerned when good works are confused with holiness. And, I am most perplexed when good people are led astray by small or quiet manipulations which they do not see. This has happened in my own diocese. What was seemingly good was not. Many people were hurt by psychological manipulation which was hidden in a so-called healing and deliverance group, which charged for services.

The problem is one of discernment. We must pray for purity of heart, as that is how we are protected. When we allow God to purify us, we no longer have to defend ourselves. God defends us. The Truth defends us.

Recently, a good friend of mine realized that some people who talked the talk were not walking the walk. The men were saying they loved Christ and His Church, but in reality, daily, were involved in New Age groups, and prayer groups disobedient to the teaching of Rome. My dear friend had an epiphany. If these good people did not want to know about the real teaching of the Church, but only chose what they wanted to believe, they had departed from the road to perfection.

The result is that this friend is finding people who walk the talk in the TLM communities. He is trying to get to the Latin Mass frequently, and finds his spiritual life deepening because of the TLM.

He cannot explain it. Nor can he explain why several of his friends involved in the prayer groups he use to attend hate the TLM, and do not want to join him in going. He says that sadly, these old friends of his are moving themselves out of the Church. They have gone from seeking Christ to seeking other gods, gods which do not demand dying to self.

How can I determine is someone, even myself, is spiritually authentic?

One merely has to ask two questions: do I and the others I see in my groups pursue Truth first and foremost in their own personal lives both in action and in prayer? And, two, am I and those in my group self-critical and take responsibility for their own actions, rather than passing the buck?

The spiritually authentic person is consistently honest and accountable for his actions.

My old friend is sad to leave his friends, but he has chosen spiritual authenticity over friendship-a brave move for an older person. I am sure God will reward him.