Recent Posts

Monday 24 February 2014

Poem for Late February

Monoceros leaps in the sky unnoticed
as the night sisters spin in silent dancing

teasing Gemini, seeking the soft lights
of far away objects. The father of the

horizon, Jupiter, reminds me of mortality
bright planet resting in faint mist over

the river. I want to see Orion rise again
outside the haze, but barely see Sirius

in the changing sky. How clear the Hunter
was sixteen months ago, over the sea

but here, in farming land, Strider takes
a second place in dust and shadows.

I wait for a better night, for clarity in this
dark night of semi-hidden beauty. No one

answers the call for delineations, so I try
to be patient, knowing that the stars will

one night appear distinctly white again. The
Unicorn disappears into a secret garden,

beyond the line of trees lining the river.
I am left alone.