Recent Posts

Saturday 10 May 2014

Memory and Memoricide Continued

I am still thinking of finishing my doctorate which has to do with the the Traditional Liturgy and continuity in the Anglican community, leading to the Ordinariate.

I have interviewed some clergyman on the point both in the states and in England.

My idea is one connected to this concept that the Liturgy keeps the memory of Catholicism alive in a community, and that "memoricide" totally disrupts the Catholic community in order to make it disappear.

Henry VIII tried this, as did Elizabeth I. The Muslim conquests attempted this as well. To destroy the liturgical infrastructure of the Church is to destroy the Church.

No Mass, no sacraments, no Catholic marriages, no vocations and so on...

Memoricide works. The Czech Republic, before the Soviet invasion, was a country with a long, alive heritage of Catholicism. The Soviet government succeeded in making it one of the most secular countries in Europe.

Memoricide destroys family histories as well. Those of my readers who have been following my ancestor series know how important oral tradition is in families, especially Catholic families.

Oral tradition is exactly what we have in the Traditional Mass.


Pray, that if it is God's Will, I can finish this study. Money is a problem, but so is the lack of stability in my life.