Recent Posts

Wednesday 18 June 2014

The Brothers of Malta-Three

Rumors of the fleet began months before the ships were sighted. Fishermen who travelled beyond Sicily and trading vessels disappeared, without any trace of ruin or survivors. Widows cried and lit candles to St. Publius and St. Paul all over the island. Spanish, French and Roman ambassadors came and discussed plans for a great sea battle with the commander of all the Knights, Jean Parisot de Valette. They came in stealth, and with little pomp due to their status. Plans made in secret need to be kept secret in a small place, on a small island.

Frederico was given orders to get more volunteers to fight and defend the coastlines of the west and south. All knew that the small peninsula would see the great part of the fighting. The harbor, so deep and easily accessible invited invasion.

Valette had been elected as Grand Master in 1557, because a battle would happen. The inhabitants looked towards him as a messiah, as a savior. As a monk as well as a soldier, Vallette gained admiration from Frederico, who honored the Grand Master's efforts to be an example of chastity, prudence, and obedience to God. Unlike so many of the Knights, Valette was stamped with an inner as well as exterior greatness. He inspired his men because he invoked God, and was, unusually, a humble man.

Frederico was called into a meeting in late July, on the Feast of St. Anne, to discuss plans for the inevitable. Tomas, also, had an invitation. When Frederico met the two in a small, quiet back street in Mdina, near the Cathedral, he was surprised, but pleased, with a third attendant. Immanuel walked into the cool room, resplendent in his newly acquired Italian clothes. But, on his face was joy and relief. Immanuel desired nothing more than to help with the battles to come. His youth and energy flushed his fair face. His mother had been beautiful.

"Immanuel, sit next to me, and look at these diagrams. I need your advice." Frederico smiled, but Tomas beamed. His decision to call back his son had proved to be right. He silently thanked his own judgement, with a nod to Claire's memory. He would have a Mass of thanksgiving said, as soon as possible.

"I need five large estates on which to grow necessary food stuffs in case of a siege. In my mind, at night, in the darkness of this small room, I see our dear people unable to get help from other Christian nations, for weeks, for months."

I want you to start what I shall call "state farms". Here, near Rabat, here on Gozo, on your father's estates, here in new city I want to build, and here in or near the Grotto of St. Mary. I want these estates to be so large that all the people will eat well, even if they must eat like rabbits, for as long as the battles take place. Can you do this? And continue to make wine, as well? I shall provide workers."

Immanuel remained quiet. Then, he cleared his throat and said gently, quietly, "With the Madonna's help, I shall do this. And, for Christendom, not merely for Malta."

Tomas could hardly conceal his pride. Here, his blond, blue-eyed son of the north and south, answered with a graciousness and humility Tomas could hardly believe.

Frederico thought, "And, Our Lady will help this good, young man."

Vallette took out several bags of gold coins from an old chest on the floor behind him. "I give you money from France and from Spain, good gold, for you to start now. Purchase what you need and pay your laborers well. We shall all be grateful, all the Maltese."

The Grand Master stood up, and the three began to leave. "Immanuel. I cannot accept you as a Knight, but if you succeed in feeding our people, I shall see if I can change the Order's rules. You understand."

Immanuel blushed and glanced at his father, who started forward. Frederico stopped Tomas, with his arm. "Be quiet, Tomas. You created this obstacle, not Immanuel."

Tomas stepped back and bowed. No one noticed his blush, perhaps the first blush in his long life.

As the three entered the dark night, Tomas slapped his son on the back. "I am so proud of you, my son."

"Father, I have never wanted to be a Knight. My example has not encouraged me to see the beauty of the order. Now, let me go do what I must."

Tomas dropped his arm, and the youth walked away quickly into the dark. The two brothers stood side by side. Frederico spoke, softly, "It is not too late to make your son proud of you brother. Think on this."

"I shall, but not tonight. Good night, Frederico. We all have work to do, you in the courtyards with swords and shields and me on the ramparts."

to be continued....