Recent Posts

Wednesday 21 January 2015

To be an activist or not to be


Someone told me bloggers, including myself, were seen as activists, unless they were writing about recipes or make-up. I guess if I wrote about animals, this person would not be so concerned.

I guess this is so, although I would merely define myself as an obedient daughter of the Church doing what God commanded all of the baptized to do and that is spread the Gospel. We are all commanded, not requested, to preach, teach, encourage, correct and so on. See my posts on the works of mercy.

Matthew 28:16-20Douay-Rheims 1899 A

16 And the eleven disciples went into Galilee, unto the mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
17 And seeing him they adored: but some doubted.
18 And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth.
19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

If spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ labels one an activist, we are all in trouble.

Some people I have spoken with deny that some of the saints were activists.

How can one live out the Gospel in the world and not be seen as such?

One cannot. The great St. Francis upset his family, his town, the local church and finally went to Rome and got permission for his daring new order which imitates the Life of Christ.

St. Francis is most likely the saint whose life most resembles Christ. But, he was not without detractors, even enemies.

Some monks tried to poison St. Benedict because they did not like his message.

I am sure St. Catherine of Siena was considered an activist.

Her family and local community had views about this as well.

I think the problem is that too many Catholics think that they are not called to activism.

We in the Church Militant all are--all, except those called to the contemplative life.

St. Francis did more than preach to the animals. One must decide whether to be an activist or not to be.

We are beyond the days of standing by and watching the Church being undermined, as it is daily, from so many quarters.

You, dear Readers, may wake up one morning soon with ZERO religious rights.

If you do not act now, you may never be able to do so....