Recent Posts

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Mea Culpa, Nicholas Owen

I missed an important feast day last week as it fell on a Sunday.

St. Nicholas Owen is one of my personal patrons. He is the famous priest-hole maker of the English persecution of priests and he himself was horribly tortured to death.

"Staircase with a Priest Hole In Havrington Hall-Worcestershire-UK-1" by Quodvultdeus - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons 

I have chosen him as one of my many favorites for several reasons.


  1. He is an English martyr.
  2. He is a Jesuit
  3. He was practical and used his talents for good.
  4. He gave himself up to save trying to save Father Garnet.
  5. He is not well-known.
I hope he forgives my oversight and intercedes for me, as I am in a bit of a "hiding place" myself.

St. Nicholas Owen, pray for me, pray for us.