Monday, 24 June 2013
To be baptized means this....and how to spot spiritual charlatans
Posted by Supertradmum
Some preach, some fight, some do both....but none preach but Christ Jesus and His Resurrection and His Church...
For we preach not ourselves, but Jesus Christ our Lord; and ourselves your servants through Jesus. 2 Cor:4:5. DR
From Edmund Campion:
My charge is, of free cost to preach the Gospel, to minister the Sacraments, to instruct the simple, to reforme sinners, to confute errors– in brief, to crie alarme spiritual against foul vice and proud ignorance wherewith many my dear Countrymen are abused.
How to spot spiritual charlatans:
1) If they charge for spiritual direction or spiritual counseling or spiritual healing;
2) If they work outside the Sacramental Life of the Church;
3) If they are not interested in instruction in the doctrines of the Church;
4) If they do not demand personal responsibility, reformation; and if they do not talk of sin as a reality, and instead dwell on victimization;
4) If they permit any vice, any;
5) If they do not address, as Campion notes, proud ignorance, which is another phrase for the stubborn refusal to learn the teaching of the Catholic Church. And, to benefit from that refusal, as did those who benefited in the Protestant Revolt in England with money and status.
And the great Archbishop Chaput has something to say concerning this theme.