Recent Posts

Sunday 13 July 2014

Discovering The Person, Manning

As readers know, I walked through two of Cardinal Manning's books on this blog recently. Now, thanks to a friend, I am reading a biography by Robert Gray of this great clergyman.

Why did I not discover him earlier? I discovered Newman in graduate school and he was part of my unfinished doctoral thesis. But, Manning has been overlooked because of bad, unfair, incorrect and even malicious biographies.

I am thoroughly enjoying this book.

Will get back to you all on this. Here is a quotation thanks to Catholic Champion blog.

‘. . . God knows I would rather stand in the lowest place within the Truth, than in the highest without it. Nay, outside the Truth, the higher the worse. It is only so much more opposition to Truth, so much more propagation of falsehood.’ Cardinal Henry Edward Manning